Job Title: Farmhand
Location: Quechee, Vermont
Reports To: Farm Manager/Owner
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work: This is a full-time position. Days and hours can change at the discretion of the Farm Manager/Owner. Must have flexibility to work weekends.
Scope: The Farmhand will work closely with the Farm Manager/Owner to assist in all aspects of livestock operation, including executing grazing and livestock plans, maintaining, and tending to day-to-day animal needs.
Role and Responsibilities:
• Prepares feed for the animals.
• Feeds and waters livestock and monitors food and water supplies.
• Shift animals between grazing areas to insure they have sufficient access to food.
• Nurses’ unwell animals.
• Provide medical treatment, such as administering medications and vaccinations, or arrange for veterinarian to provide for more extensive treatment.
• Administer vaccines to livestock and maintains vaccine records.
• Responsible for maintenance of buildings, pens, yards and fences.
• Cleans stalls, pens and equipment, using disinfectant solutions, brushes, shovels, water hoses or pumps.
• Receive and store feed, hay and other supplies and materials.
• Drive trucks, tractors, and other equipment to distribute feed to animals.
• Groom, clip, trim, dock ears and tails, or shear coats to collect hair.
• Mark livestock to identify ownership and grade, using brands, tags, paint or tattoos.
• Other duties as assigned.
Skills and Qualifications:
• Minimum 3 years farming experience.
• Superb communication, organizational and interpersonal skills required.
• Maintains all safety standards and protocols in accordance with state and federal laws.
• Hardworking, team player with an energetic and positive attitude.
• Must have a valid driver’s license.
• Minimum High School Diploma or GED
• College degree preferred or equivalent job-related experience in lieu of degree.
• Certifications a plus.
This job operates in exposure to direct sunlight and weather 90% of the time. This employee will operate equipment daily including but not limited to tractors, harvesters, forklifts, spraying and spreading equipment. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to fumes or airborne particles, moving mechanical parts and vibration. The noise level in the work environment and job sites can be loud.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk, hear, lift, push, pull, stoop, or bend. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms. This position requires the ability to occasionally lift products and supplies weighing up to 50 pounds as needed and operate equipment.