Ice House Farm is Hiring A Goat Milking and Care Specialist
Position: Goat Milking and Care Specialist
Location: Ice House Farm, Goshen VT
We are seeking an enthusiastic, reliable, and patient individual to join our team as a Goat Milking and Care Specialist. This position entails milking a herd of goats with meticulous care and attention, while also participating in various farm chores associated with daily routine goat care.
Ice House Farm is a small farmstead goat dairy and creamery located in the rolling hills of Goshen Vermont. Our farm is dedicated to fostering a sustainable environment for our goats while producing the highest quality milk for cheesemaking. Our milk is sold as fluid raw milk for cheesemaking to an award winning cheesemaker in Vermont, as well as being made into cheese in our farm creamery. We currently manage a herd of 80 dairy goats, and raise pastured whey fed pigs and a few steers each year. Our milking parlor is a newly constructed double 8 pipeline system, featuring drop feeders, and clean in place units.
- Milking a herd of goats in a low stress environment, paying meticulous attention to detail.
- Perform pre and post cleaning tasks of the milking parlor and equipment. Following our milking SOPs.
- Perform necessary farm chores for pre and post milking.
- Implement clean and hygienic practices while working with our goats and dairy equipment.
- Monitor and report any signs of discomfort or behavioral changes in the goats.
- Uphold the farm's commitment to animal welfare approved treatment of our animals.
- Participate in the overall improvement of farm processes and routines.
- Passion for animals and food production.
- Attentiveness to cleanliness and hygiene standards.
- Previous experience with livestock is preferred but not required.
- Ability to work independently and follow instructions effectively.
- Excellent communication skills and a positive attitude towards learning.
- Willingness to adapt to farm-specific routines and practices.
Work Environment & Physical Demands:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Physical capability to handle tasks such as lifting, bending, and standing during milking shifts.
- Ability to work milking shifts on your feet in hot and cold environments.
- Must be able to understand and use milking pipeline equipment safely.
- Cleaning chemicals and sanitizers are used.
Compensation / Hours:
Pay: $18 per hour commensurate with experience
Part Time flexible hours to accommodate both the well-being of our goats and your schedule. Milking shifts typically last 2 - 2.5 hours. We are seeking candidates who can commit to a minimum of 2 milking shifts per week, with the opportunity for additional shifts as experience is gained. As a valued member of our team, you'll have the chance to contribute to the farm's success while finding a schedule that suits your availability and our goats' needs.
- Hands-on experience in sustainable farming practices.
- Flexible Schedule for Milking Shifts.
- Potential for growth and expanded responsibilities.
Please submit a resume and response to the question listed below to our hiring team in your cover letter:
- Tell us about your favorite type of cheese and why (it’s okay if it's not goat cheese, we love all kinds of cheese!)