We have an exciting position available for a culinary-minded farmer with a growth mindset.
Currently entering our 6th growing season, Greenflash Farm is a 105-acre diversified farm just outside of Princeton, NJ. Our farm’s production of organic vegetables, flowers, pastured eggs and meat has earned us a reputation for excellent quality and deliciousness. We have previously serviced a 60+ member CSA, on-site retail farm store, farm-to-table dinners, and high-end wholesale restaurant accounts.
For the 2023 season, we are re-focusing our farm’s capabilities to support a culinary-driven produce program and smaller flock of pastured laying hens. We have recently added an amazing full-time chef to our team, who is tasked with conceptualizing and planning farm dinners throughout the season. We are investing in additional infrastructure in our beautifully restored 18th century barn, with the goal of expanding our ability to host and connect with our community.
We are hiring a full-time, on-site farm manager to oversee and conduct the majority of growing activities in our 5-acre organic field: soil health and composting, seeding (in the greenhouse), planting, irrigation, chemical-free weed and pest control, harvesting, washing, and cold storing. The manager will work intimately with the farm’s new chef to outline each season’s harvest schedule to support on-farm dinners and other small-scale events (we do not host weddings). They will also be tasked with re-establishing and suppor+ng one or more additional distribution channels (eg. small CSA and/or on-site retail farm store) to supplement revenue and reduce food waste. Additionally, they will be responsible for overseeing the health and production of our pastured laying hens.
Coming in, the manager will have 1 full-time employee to whom they can designate tasks. As production and harvesting work expands, the farm manager will be responsible for hiring and managing additional workers as needed.
RESPONSIBILITIES (inclusive of, but not limited to)
• Work closely with farm chef to plan seasonal produce schedule to meet needs of on-farm dinners and other deadlines
• Oversee all aspects of organic vegetable, flower, and herb production: seed starting, greenhouse management, bed preparation, transplanting, weeding, harvesting, washing and storing
• Analyze soil to determine type and quantity of compost or other soil amendments required for sustainable & regenerative practices
• Source and purchase supplies, such as compost, seed, tools, and chicken feed
• Utilize greenhouse and high tunnels as needed to extend growing season
• Operate tractor and other farm equipment as required including rotating mobile chicken coops, up to once/week in summer; less in winter
• Inspect and maintain equipment to ensure proper functioning; triage issues to
• Work with owners to re-establish at least one additional distribution channel: small CSA and/or on-site retail farm store
• Establish and stay within annual budget; maintain proper field and accounting records
• Collaborate with extended farm team to promote farm via social media and
• Manage one full-time; hire, train, and manage additional daily or seasonal workers as needed within established budget
QUALIFICATIONS (MUST HAVE)
• 5+ years experience in regenerative agricultural practices including composting, vegetable production, small animal husbandry, and soil health
• Vegetable & egg distribution experience including oversight of small CSA and/or retail farm market
• Ability to operate tractor and use broad range of tractor implements safely
• Self-starter: ability to work independently and take initiative, set priorities, anticipate and triage unexpected situations, problem solve, and see projects through to completion
• Excellent communication skills, positive attitude, and flexible thinking
• Willingness to work outdoors in inclement weather
• Ability to perform basic equipment maintenance and use basic tools
• Affection for animals - despite our focus on veggie production, must also be willing to ensure health and production of flock of laying hens
• Valid driver’s license and comfort driving farm vehicles
CONDITIONS & BENEFITS
• This position is full-time, year round. Average of 40-50 hrs/week, potentially longer in peak season and shorter in the winter months
• Salary range: $50,000 -$55,000
• On-farm housing provided
• Fresh air, vegetables, and eggs; and you will be working with an amazingly talented chef with many unnamed perks!