Shepherds Brook Farms is a commercial farm located in Hartland, Vermont. In this position, the Farm Manager will manage and run a 400-acre Beef & Lamb farm, in addition to commercial herds of 100 sucklers and 100+ Ewes. The incumbent will work independently with direct reporting to the owner of the farm. This position is best suited for someone who has successfully worked in a big farm but looking to venture out independently.
Role and Responsibilities:
• Demonstrates a passion for agriculture and cattle
• Proven track record of efficiently and responsibly running a farming operation through sound business decisions.
• Implement strategies for maximum yield and return on investment with agricultural production or cattle commercialization.
• Creates plans to develop farm operations for Farm to Table operations
• Hire, train and supervise staff.
• Creates budgets, prepares reports and forecasts.
• Manages inventory and purchases supplies.
• Repair machinery and maintain vehicles and equipment to ensure top performance.
• Solicits vendors and establishes vendor relationships contacts through price negotiations and contracts.
• Conducts best farming practices and keeps abreast of developments in agricultural science and local State requirements.
• Prepares feed for the animals and nurses’ unwell animals.
• Oversees and manages the pasture as well as farm buildings, facilities, and landscaping to professional standards
• Monitor farm progress and keep accurate records.
Skills and Qualifications
• Minimum Bachelor’s degree in agriculture, animal science, or equivalent years of experience.
• Ability to lead, manage and direct independently the farm operations
• Minimum 3 years’ experience in raising Beef and Lamb.
• Minimum 3 years’ experience with pasture management.
• Demonstrates leadership and strong management skills.
• Excellent problem-solving, analytical, and critical thinking skills.
• The ability to multitask and make decisions in stressful environments.
• Superb communication, organizational and interpersonal skills required.
• Sound knowledge of landscape maintenance to include pesticides, herbicides, fertilizers, and controlled burning.
• Operate tractors and other light machinery and responsible for maintaining grounds.
• Administer vaccines to livestock. Maintain vaccination and veterinary care records
• Maintains all safety standards and protocols in accordance with state and federal laws.
• Must have a valid driver’s license.